Skip to main content
Link to Search

OH Department Records

Data Protection Privacy Notice
For Occupational Health Department Records

This Privacy Notice lets you know what happens to any personal data that you give to the Occupational Health Unit, or any that we may collect from or about you.

How will you use it?

As a department within Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service, the Occupational Health Department is the ‘Data Controller’ of the personal data you provide to us. 

The Occupational Health staff and health care professionals who provide you with advice and support maintain records about your health and these records help to provide you with the best possible Occupational Health service.

Your health records may be electronic, on paper or a mixture of both, and we use a combination of working practices and technology to ensure that your information is kept confidential and secure. Records which the Occupational Health Department hold about you may include the following information:

  • Details about you, such as your address, emergency contact details
  • Any contact the Occupational Health Department has had with you, such as appointments, visits, appointments, etc.
  • Notes and reports about your health
  • Details of treatment and care you are receiving
  • Results of any tests or assessments that Occupational Health undertake
  • Results of investigations which you provide such as laboratory tests, x-rays etc
  • Relevant information from other healthcare professionals

To ensure you receive the best possible care, your records are used to facilitate the support you receive. 

We need to know your personal, sensitive, and confidential data in order to provide you with Occupational Health services, under the UK General Data Protection Regulation we will be lawfully using your information in accordance with: –
Article 6 (b) processing of your personal data is necessary to comply with our obligations under the contract of employment.

Article 9 (h) processing is necessary for the purposes of preventive or occupational medicine, for the assessment of the working capacity of you, medical diagnosis, the provision of health or social care or treatment.
This Privacy Notice applies to the personal data of our employees and the data you have given us about your health.

Who has access to my personal data?

Only Occupational Health staff and the Physician have access to your Occupational Health records, and they have a legal obligation to keep information about you confidential. 

Information would only be released to your manager or other people with your explicit consent.
We have a Data Protection regime in place to oversee the effective and secure processing of your personal and or special category (sensitive, confidential) data.

How long will you keep hold of my information?

We will retain your Occupational Health records for 40 years from the date you leave or retire from the Service. 

What are my rights and who can I contact about my personal information?

You have various rights in relation to your personal data (see our website for our Privacy Policy and Your Rights). To get in touch about these, please contact our Data Protection Officer. We will seek to deal with your request without undue delay, and in any event in accordance with the requirements of any applicable laws. Please note that we may keep a record of your communications to help us resolve any issues which you raise.

Data Subject Access Requests (DSAR): You have a right under the Data Protection legislation to request access to view or to obtain copies of what information the Occupational Health Department holds about you and to have it amended should it be inaccurate. To request this, you need to do the following:

  • Your request should be made to the Occupational Health Department 
  • There is no charge to have a copy of the information held about you
  • We are required to respond to you within one month
  • You will need to give adequate information (for example full name, address, date of birth, and details of your request) so that your identity can be verified, and your records located information we hold about you at any time.

What should you do if your personal information changes?

You should tell us so that we can update our records please contact the Service Centre, Human Resources, as soon as any of your details change, this is especially important for changes of address or contact details (such as your mobile phone number), you will from time to time be asked to confirm that the information the Service currently holds is accurate and up to date. 

Data Protection Officer 

You can contact our Data Protection Officer regarding any issues related to the processing of your personal information, including exercising any of your rights or making a complaint.

We encourage people to bring to our attention any instances where they think our collection, or use of, information is unfair, misleading or inappropriate.

Data Protection Officer
Joint Police & Fire Headquarters
Butterley Hall
Derbyshire DE5 3RS

Telephone: 01773 305305

Right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office

If you wish to complain about any aspect of the handling of your request, then you should contact our Data Protection Officer at:

Data Protection Officer
Joint Police & Fire Headquarters
Butterley Hall
Derbyshire DE5 3RS

Telephone: 01773 305305

If informal resolution is not possible and you are still dissatisfied, then you may apply for an independent internal review.  Please note that any request for an internal review must be made within 40 working days of the date on which the attempt to reach informal resolution has come to an end.

If you remain dissatisfied following an internal review, you may take your complaint to the Information Commissioner.  Please note that the Information Commissioner will not investigate your case until our internal review process has been completed.  

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) is the UK's independent body set up to uphold information rights.  You have a right to lodge complaints with them.

To find out more about them, visit
To contact them, either visit their website, dial 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745 or write to them at:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF

Dated: May 2023