Posted: Friday 5 January 2018, 13:51
With the New Year underway, Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service (DFRS) is asking people to make testing their smoke alarms weekly one of their 2018 new year’s resolutions.
Working smoke alarms can save lives by providing you and your family with vital early warning of a fire, allowing you to Get Out, Stay Out and Call 999. However, smoke alarms can only do this when they are working and so testing them on a weekly basis should be at the top of everyone’s to do list for the New Year.
Head of Prevention and Inclusion Davinder Johal said: “At this time of year, many people will be thinking of what they can do, whether it be big or small, to make a fresh start and improve their lives, homes and wellbeing. A smoke alarm can offer vital protection for you and your loved ones, but most people simply fit a smoke alarm and forget it, never checking if it’s still in working order!
“I’d therefore like to encourage everyone to test their smoke alarms every week, joining in with #TestItTuesday. There is nothing more important than keeping your loved ones safe and secure, so make sure this vital check is one of your New Year’s resolutions.”
Where’s best to fit smoke alarms in your home and how to ensure they are working properly:
- Fit a smoke alarm on every level of your home.
- Fit smoke alarms on the ceiling of landings and hallways and near bedrooms. Also consider fitting them in rooms which have electrical appliances as these carry a potential increased fire risk.
- Test your smoke alarms by pushing the button every Tuesday.
- Take a moment to check on elderly family, friends and neighbours who may need help to ensure they’re fully protected by working smoke alarms.
- Have a pre-planned and practised escape route that everyone in the house is aware of in the event of a fire.
For more information about keeping safe, please visit www.derbys-fire.gov.uk.
You can also follow us on social media for regular safety advice, including reminders to test your smoke alarms: