It is a requirement that all staff recruited to work for Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service (DFRS) are properly selected and checked.
DFRS ensures all recruitment panels have at least one member who has completed ‘Safer recruitment’ training.
When considering applicants, DFRS ensures they hold appropriate qualifications and relevant employment history. The Service also undertakes checks to ensure applicants are safe to work with adults and children at risk.
Our procedure is as follows:
- DFRS adverts will always contain a statement, regarding our commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of adults and children.
- All candidates will have access to a job description and person specification at the point of application.
- Candidates will be asked to confirm their criminal history (disclosing anything that will show up on a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check).
At pre-employment checks stage candidates will be asked to prove:
- Their identity (passport or photo card driver licence).
- Relevant qualifications (certificates).
- Eligibility to work in the UK (official paperwork)
- Detailed enquiries will also be made regarding any gaps in their employment.
- The successful candidate will be informed that their job offer is conditional, dependent on pre-employment checks, including a satisfactory DBS check at the appropriate level.
- New members of staff will undertake Level 1 Safeguarding Adults and Child protection for non-children’s service workers training as part of their induction.
- New members of staff who are required to work at the Police and Fire HQ and Joint Training Centre sites will have to pass Non Police Personnel Vetting Level 2 as a minimum.
- All new members of staff will have their work ethic and performance monitored very closely, and if satisfactory levels are not being reached their employment may be reconsidered.
- All staff must notify their manager, in person, if any circumstances arise that may affect their suitability to work with adults and children at risk.
- Certain roles will have their DBS check and/or Police Vetting reviewed periodically.