Large Text | High Contrast | Standard | Site Map | Skip to content | Skip to main navigation


What to do in an Emergency

» If there is a fire

» If there is a flooding emergency

» If you are asked to evacuate by the emergency services

» If there is a large scale or county wide incident or emergency

Calling 999

Dialling 999 is free. Your call will be answered by a BT Operator (who could be located anywhere in the UK) who will ask you the telephone number you are dialling from and which emergency service you need.

They will then put you through to the fire and rescue service Control Room, who will ask you for the following information:

  • What the problem is
  • The address of the incident
  • Landmarks or nearby streets to help with directions
  • The city/town/village or district
  • What kind of incident it involves, such as is it a fire, a vehicle collision, flooding or a rescue
  • If a fire is involved, more questions will be asked, such as 'is it a car fire, a building fire, is anyone still in the building'

Try not to panic, and speak clearly. The information you give may help to save lives and property.

If you are waiting to be put through to the fire and rescue service, and a fire appliance attends the incident, please stay on the line and tell our Control Room staff that an appliance has arrived.

Be Prepared

The best way you can help yourself or your family is to be prepared for an emergency. Read our Keeping Safe section and follow our tips on keeping safe at home, on the road or outdoors.

Helping our crews responding to incidents

You can help our crews when they are responding to or attending incidents by reading the information on the following pages.

Think Sprinkler Campaign

Click here

Smoke Alarms Save Lives

Click here